Portobello basil burgers
Forget the beef, earthy portobello mushrooms taste even better. And when you top them with pesto mayo, fresh basil and thick-cut bacon? Tasty. My meat-loving brother-in-law even asked for a bite–having never had a portobello mushroom before–and liked it! In fact, I think I even saw a hint of envy…
Prep time: 5 minutes + grilling
4 large Portobello mushrooms
¼ cup olive oil
Grill seasoning mix
Garlic powder (optional)
Onion powder (optional)
Salt and pepper
Fresh basil leaves
Bacon (if desired, you know you want it!)
1/4 cup mayo (or reduced fat cream cheese if you’re trying to go light)
1 Tablespoon prepared pesto
- Wash and dry the mushrooms. Remove the stems.
- Bring the grill to high heat.
- Brush the olive oil on one side of the mushroom. Sprinkle with seasonings as you would hamburgers. I use a mesquite grilling mix along with garlic and onion powders and then salt and pepper.
- Place the mushrooms on the grill with the oiled side down. Grill until the mushroom starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Brush the non-oiled side and then flip the mushroom. Grill 5 more minutes or until browned and tender.
- Mix the mayo and the pesto (I added a few sun-dried tomatoes too).
- Slather the hamburger bun top with pesto mayo. On the bottom part layer the mushroom, tomato and basil.