Meatball margarita pizza
Here’s a good reason to start hunting for a good Italian deli in your area–meatballs. Of course, fresh pizza dough, mozzarella, homemade sausage and pasta make the list too, but when I want a quick meal, I’ll often pick up meatballs and sauce at Alesci’s then all I have to do when I come home is make the pasta.
But meatballs have so many possibilities–why not as a pizza topping? I merged two of my kids’ favorite Italian meals–meatballs and margarita pizza for these mini-meals.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 mini-pizzas
1 bag pizza dough
1 1/2 cups marinara or pizza sauce
1 bunch basil
8-12 ounces fresh mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Divided the dough into four equal pieces using a floured knife.
- Roll each dough piece out into a 5-6 inch circle, then place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Slather each pizza with sauce.
- Place three meatballs, mozzarella, and fresh ground pepper on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove pizza and add basil then cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until cheese is golden. (You can leave the basil on the whole time if you don’t mind it getting a little crispy. I actually like the basil crisped so I put it on at the beginning of cooking, it’s up to you!)
*Tweak this mini-meatloaf recipe to make your own meatballs. Cut out the mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, tabasco and add plenty of torn fresh basil and dried oregano instead.
Coming up later this week:
- Breakfast pizza failure
- Apple Gruyere pizza (a new favorite)