Homemade gift idea #2: Nutella hot fudge
Nutella makes anything it touches creamier. And I’m still convincing myself that it’s somehow better for you than your average chocolate spread, what with all the ground hazelnuts in there. So when I was throwing together a homemade hot fudge sauce to dress up brownies I was serving to guests I figured mixing in a little hazelnut might make the sauce even better. Granted, it’s hard to mess up a hot fudge sauce, but the Nutella did exactly what I’d hoped–upped the richness of the flavor and texture of the hot fudge.
The best part? Well, besides having to do a little quality testing yourself on the sauce, that is. You can pour the melted sauce into containers to give to friends as gifts. As with the berry sauce (homemade gift idea #1), you might want to attach a couple recipes with the sauce, like the best brownies ever or even brownie waffles.
Nutella hot fudge
Prep time: 5 minutes
Servings: 1 cup (easy to double, triple)
1/2 cup dark chocolate (I use semi-sweet Ghirardelli)
1/2 cup half and half
2 tablespoons Nutella
- Place the chocolate and the half and half in a glass measuring cup.
- Heat at medium-high in the microwave for 90 seconds. Stir vigorously.
- Keep heating the sauce at 20 second intervals until the chocolate begins to melt.
- After stirring the chocolate until smooth, add in the Nutella and continue stirring.
- Cool slightly before pouring on brownies.
- The sauce can be kept in the fridge for up to a week (if it lasts that long!) and should be heated before serving.
BONUS: Nutella is offering a giveaway until 12/31. You can enter here.