Yogurt banana cake with chocolate chips
Shhhhh, don’t tell my kids but this recipe is simply a tweaked muffin recipe. Yup I just didn’t want to take the time to fill up all of the muffin tins so I poured the batter into a 9×13″ pan instead, called it cake, and my kids were hooked. Okay, the chocolate chips helped, but so did the hefty amount of Greek yogurt which makes this ‘cake’ moist and filling.
Prep time: 15 minutes + baking
3 cups flour (whole wheat flour would work well too)
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 ripe bananas
1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
8 Tbsp. melted butter
2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a hand-held mixer mash the bananas and then add the brown sugar, followed by the yogurt, then eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the banana mixture. Stir in the melted butter and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into a greased 9×13″ pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and eat for dessert, breakfast or snacks.
Kids’ reaction: Well, no surprise but this was a big hit with my crew. I’ve now made it twice this week and my kids are trying to keep from eating bananas around here so they’ll be ripe enough to use in this recipe. Originally, I was going to make a simple glaze for this using powdered sugar and maple syrup but it doesn’t need it.