My Mad Men kitchen
Well, the plaid wallpaper’s gotta go. Along with the dinosaur of a double oven, the evergreen laminate countertops, and the overhead microwave that makes the cooktop feel like a cave.
Just one problem. See the other day when I was eating my breakfast, the ceiling dripped into my bran flakes. And with those drips went a few of our kitchen renovation plans. They’re now in the fix-the-leak-in-the-bathroom-that-isn’t-covered-by-the-home-warranty plan. So if you’ve wondered why I haven’t posted in awhile, I’ve traded my paintbrush for a spatula. (But I’ve got to eat sometime, so our grill and smoker have replaced my oven.)
Our plans now are to re-purpose as much of our current kitchen as we can.
Here’s what’s on the list:
- Paint the kitchen cabinets white (bring on the oil-based primer)
- Paint the cabinet hinges in brushed nickel
- Paint the laminate countertops gray (Rustoleum is on my shopping list)
- Take down the wallpaper
- Remove the trash compactor (done;)
- Replace the double oven and stovetop with a range (opens up the space and it’s less expensive)
- Decide on a backsplash
- Nix the over-the-stove microwave–where can you hide a microwave?
- Swap out the lighting
- Refinish the wood floors
I’m looking forward to making the kitchen my own. And here’s the best part–when I need a break from remodeling, here’s where I head. The backyard.