Grilled pineapple fried rice
Around my house, we’re grilling more in the fall than we did this summer. And anytime Mr. Squid starts up the grill, I go through the veggie drawer for ideas (I raid the fruit bowl too). That’s how I came up with grilled pineapple fried rice. You don’t have to grill the vegetables, but the flavor is so much better when the pineapple spends a little time in the flames.
Prep time: 20 minutes
2 cups cooked rice (leftover takeout rice is perfect)
1 green pepper, diced
1/3 cup white onion, diced
3 Tablespoons canola oil
2 eggs (whisked)
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
6 pineapple rings (canned or fresh)
3/4 cup pineapple juice (drained from can or fresh)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (opt.)
- Grill the green peppers, onions, and pineapple (optional).
- If you’re not grilling, bring the oil to medium-high heat in a wok or large saute pan. Add the diced vegetables and garlic and cook until heated but still crisp.
- Place the whisked eggs into the wok, break apart as they cook.
- Once cooked, push the eggs and vegetables to the sides of the pan and then add in the rice.
- Saute until the rice is heated through.
- Stir in the fish and soy sauces, the pineapple juice, and spices. Adjust the seasonings.
- Dice the pineapple (grilled or at room temperature) and add into the cooked rice.