Whole wheat apple coconut sunrise muffins
Apples and coconut? Oh yeah! The sweet, tart flavor of grated apples meld perfectly with chewy coconut. Plus, this recipe is a fun one to make with kiddos.
*Tweaked from King Arthur Morning Glory Muffins
Servings: 16 regular-sized muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (opt.)
1/4 tsp. ginger (opt.)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups grated apple (about 2-3 large apples)
1/2 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
1/3 cup sunflower seeds or wheat germ (opt.)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 large eggs
2/3 cup vegetable oil (I used melted coconut oil)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup apple or orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 12-cup muffin tin. I usually have enough batter to make 16 muffins. You can either work in batches or if you have a second muffin pan you’re good to go.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Stir in apple, coconut, nuts, and wheat germ (if using). A note on grating apples: My youngest daughter took care of this task. She had fun but you need to watch closely so there’s no inadvertent finger grating. She gripped the apple with a clean wash cloth to keep some distance between her fingers and the grater. When the apple got close to the grater we just ate the extras. Also, it’s up to you but you don’t have to skin the apple first–just shred away!
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and juice.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until combined.
- Place batter into muffin papers. Top with extra coconut.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.