Celebrate Chinese New Year by making these crisped and sauced meatballs.
Recipe: Shanghai Meatballs
1 lbs. ground pork
6 slices bacon, chopped small
3 tbsp. green onions, diced
1 tbsp. fresh ground ginger
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. tart juice (cherry, cranberry)
¾ cup Panko bread crumbs
¼ tsp. white pepper
½ tsp. salt
Canola oil for frying
1 ½ cups water
4 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. vinegar (rice preferred)
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp. tart juice
1 ½ tbsp. soy sauce
Dash of red pepper for spiciness
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl. Mix with your hands.
- Form mixture into ½ inch balls (about 35).
- Place balls onto a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Refrigerate balls while the oil heats.
- Add oil to fill wok 1/3 of the way full; turn heat to medium-high.
- Working in batches, fry the meatballs. Add 7 meatballs at a time to the hot oil.
- Drain on paper towels after removing from oil.
- In a bowl mix together all ingredients.
- Add mixture to a wok and bring to a boil until thickened.
- Toss meatballs in the sauce until coated. Serve.