Posts tagged oats
Happy National Chocolate Chip Day! To commemorate the invention of chocolate chip cookies by a creative baker back in the 1930s, May 15th is the day to bake up a batch. But cookies are so 2013. Make muffins instead to pair chocolate chips with something a little healthier – oats.
Makes 12 regular-sized muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour (or go half whole-wheat, half all purpose or use just all-purpose)
1 cup oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (opt.)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup milk
1 cup mini-chocolate chips
2 tbsp. ground flax seed (opt.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl mix together the dried ingredients.
- In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones until just softened.
- Fill each of the muffin tins up 2/3 full. (You can use muffin papers or generously grease the pan with baking spray.)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just browned around the edges.
Optional: Add sugar crystals, chopped nuts, or extra mini-chocolate chips on top of the batter before baking.
*Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is.