Posts tagged Santa
Want to impress Santa with something besides cookies this year? Tried baked hot chocolate.
I first tried this wanna be lava cake in a cup at Moxie’s, a popular Cleveland restaurant. The enormous mug held a gooey, chocolatey center. I’ve slimmed down their version so you can make it in a teacup–in the microwave. There’s no need to spray the cup beforehand but you should mix it in a bowl before pouring into the mug. If you’re using a regular-sized mug double the ingredients. This recipe is perfect for Santa’s little helpers to make.
Baked Hot Chocolate Mini Microwave Style
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tbsp. sugar (1/2 tbsp. more if you like it sweet)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 cup + ½ tbsp. milk
- 2 drops extract (peppermint, vanilla or almond)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Hershey’s kiss (or a dollop of Nutella)
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl; whisk in the milk and oil.
- Pour into mug (it will not be full). Unwrap Hershey’s kiss and push it into the middle of the batter (or use Nutella).
- Cook for 90 seconds in the microwave. (Microwaves cook differently; my microwave has low wattage. You may want to start with 60 seconds and cook for 30 seconds more, if needed.)
- Cool for 60 seconds. Top liberally with whipped cream.